The philosophy of this programme is to inspire the learners to take a leading role in environmental decision making and policy initiatives.
- To enable students to have good knowledge of environmental law and equip them with hands-on and relevant skills in environmental governance;
- To provide specialised training for those interested in practising environmental law as a specialised discipline either as drafters, legal advisers, corporate lawyers or legal practitioners;
- To develop a cadre of professionals with skills and expertise to incorporate environmental considerations in all planning and legal instruments
- To promote knowledge and insights for protection of the threshold of sustainability in the utilization or enjoyment of the environment;
- To prepare managers for informed interventions, avoidance and/or settlement of disputes on environmental matters; and
- To offer quality training to prepare those aspiring to pursue scholarship at doctoral, research or teaching levels to ensure inter-generational succession of environmental management experts.
Environmental degradation is one of the biggest challenges in the 21st century. In response, individuals, civil societies, corporate organisations, academia and governments around the world have been pursuing environmental sustainability as a policy goal. This has been supported by an array of new policies ranging from international agreements, national strategies, environmental laws and local plans. These have culminated with the adoption of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in 2015. Despite these efforts, decades of scientific monitoring indicate that the world is no closer to environmental sustainability. There is therefore an increased need for innovation in the design and implementation of environmental policies. However, there is insufficient expertise to meet these needs, especially in the African continent.
The programme is therefore expected to ground learners in multidisciplinary research and development of innovative solutions in response to environmental challenges.
The goal of this programme is to provide the learner with broad knowledge, competencies, and attitudes that enhance leadership in environmental policy practice and advancement of scholarship.
The Programme shall last for a minimum of Four semesters (Two Academic years). The first academic year will be dedicated to course work. Students will take Ten units (Seven core units and Three electives).
The second academic year will be dedicated to proposal development, research, thesis writing and examination. Students opting for the Research Project Course will have a third semester in the second year of the study and will take 4 extra units from the list of electives.
The common regulations for the Masters Degree of the University of Nairobi shall apply :
The following shall be eligible for admission:
- Holders of a Bachelor’s degree, Upper Second Class Honours, or equivalent in law, environment, physical, biological or natural resource management and/or social science-related fields.
- Holders of Bachelor’s degree, Lower Second Class, or equivalent in the areas specified in (a) above, with additional relevant training or evidence of research work or work experience.
- Holders of a Postgraduate Diploma in the areas specified in (a) above provided that the applicant satisfies the minimum requirements for admission to a Bachelor’s degree qualification level.
Fees and Funding
|MASTER OF ARTS IN ENVIRONMENTAL LAW - Z51|
|Z51-18 units ( 10 units + Thesis)|
|EXAMINATION (PER UNIT @1000)||1,000|
|MEDICAL FEE (PER YEAR)||6,500|
|ICT SERVICES - (PER YEAR)||7,000|
|CAUTION - (ONCE)||5,000|
|LIBRARY (PER YEAR)||5,000|
|ACTIVITY-( PER YEAR)||2,000|
|REGISTRATION (PER SEMESTER@2250)||2,250|
|ID CARD ( PER YEAR)||1,000|
|STUDENT ORGANISATION(PER YEAR)||1,000|
|Year 1-semester 1||Year 1-semester 2||Year 2|
|5 units||5 units||Thesis-Equiv to 8 units|
|EXAMINATION (PER UNIT @1000)||5,000||5,000||8,000|
|MEDICAL FEE (PER YEAR)||6,500||0||6,500|
|ICT SERVICES - (PER YEAR)||7,000||0||7,000|
|CAUTION - (ONCE)||5,000||0|
|LIBRARY (PER YEAR)||5,000||0||5,000|
|ACTIVITY-( PER YEAR)||2,000||0||2,000|
|REGISTRATION (PER SEMESTER@2250)||2,250||2,250||4,500|
|ID CARD ( PER YEAR)||1,000||0||1,000|
|STUDENT ORGANISATION(PER YEAR)||1,000||0||1,000|